Friday, October 3, 2014

Newport SUP Cup

In September, I headed up to Newport, Rhode Island for the Newport SUP Cup 6 mile race.  I knew there would be some tough competition on hand, and race strategy would play a key part. The race was 2 laps around an island in Newport Harbor. I got off the start with the lead, it was on the other side of the island when Patrick Broemmel, and Travis Hayes caught up, and formed a draft train. Draft trains are highly effective in terms of saving energy while paddling and maintaining pace in the lead pack. I drafted Patrick for awhile, and at one point he fell. But Travis was right there and he pulled away, Patrick put the hammer down and passed me. These guys are power paddlers, and are all around awesome athletes to compete against. I was stoked to place 3rd and go home with a little prize money.







No comments:

Post a Comment